Sunday, May 4, 2014

Red Seafood Stew with Chorizo & Potato




A few weeks ago I went out to eat at Devil's Alley in Center City for with my boyfriend.  It's a pretty nice spot in right around the Rittenhouse area that would be a cute date night or after work dinner spot. Whoever the bartender was that night made us some pretty spectacular Manhattans as well. I know they were spectacular because I was slightly tossed after my first glass...




But I digress. The main event of my meal was hands down the mussels I had that were cooked in some savory red sauce with chorizo and peppers. I got a little crazy in the grocery store trying to think about how I could recreate the dish and make it my own and started blindly adding items to my cart that I thought were or should have been in the dish... 







The basics:


  •  Mussels
  •  Chorizo
  •  Cod
  •  Yellow onion
  •  Russet potato
  •  campari tomatoes (4-5)
  • Vegetable stock
  • 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  • garlic
  • scallions
  • roasted paprika
  • garlic
  • red curry paste
  • red wine vinegar
  •  evoo
  • fresh parsley
  • pepper
  • gruyere cheese
  • dry white wine
  • lemon juice


Prep:


  • Chop up your onion
  • Chop up your onion
  • Chop up the white parts of about 6 scallions
  • Chop up your campari tomatoes into quarter chunks
  • Cut 2 chorizo links into chunks
  • Rinse off your mussels and then make sure it throw away any open shells or guys that just look a little too funky.
  • Cut 1-2 russet potatoes also into chunks



Cook:

 Heat up some oil in your pot and add the garlic, onions & scallions and cook until translucent.
 Add in your potatoes, chorizo & red curry paste.
 This is where I got a little crazy and started just blindly chopping and adding things in. I'm pretty sure I added in:

  •  paprika
  •  pepper
  •  chopped parsley
  •  red wine vinegar
  •  dry white wine
  • A few scoops of your crushed tomatoes (depending on how thick you want your broth to be)

-After the chorizo looked decently cooked through I added in about half of the vegetable stock and let it come to a boil
-Then I added in my mussels and cod
-Once all the mussels have opened, I added the other half of the vegetable stock and then scooped in some extra spoonfuls of crushed tomatoes.




-Let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes and wait for the potatoes to cook through
-Pull out a piece of potato, pop it in your mouth, spit it out across the kitchen, and then cry about getting a blister on the roof of your mouth. (Alternative step here would be to see if potato cuts easily with a knife...)
-When your potatoes are nice & cooked, grate some cheese and serve!












No comments:

Post a Comment